Thursday, March 8, 2012

Maple Syrup, eh?

Great news!  I just found another source of natural sweetness.  I've established that refined and artificial sugar and super processed syrups particularly those of the "high-fructose" persuasion are pretty scary.  Read more here.  But considering the number of goodies I inhaled at the cast party last night it's a long and bumpy road to recovery, and I'll need all the help I can get.

Hi I'm Tikla, and I'm a sugaraholic.  I've been clean for zero days.  


So here's the glorious news.

Image from vpr.net
Maple Syrup!  


I'm not talking the kind that wears an apron either.  The real deal, sap from a tree, boiled to satisfy my sweet tooth heaven.  With this addition to my list--raw honey, fruit,....dang it's kinda short still.  Oh well, I'm up to three healthy sugar alternatives now.

Wait till you hear what this generous tree has to offer.

Maple syrup is a nutritionally significant source of manganese and zinc, and has higher amounts of potassium and calcium and fewer calories than honey! source  Not bad.  Also maple syrup is hypoallergenic--very very rarely causes allergic reaction. source

This rich stuff hasn't been robbed of it's minerals that help metabolize sugars!  In it's natural habitat, maple syrup is maple tree sap.  The only processing that takes place is low heat to evaporate most of the water and ta da, you have pure maple syrup.

The spankin' new bottle of this goodness I have in my fridge has one ingredient on the label, pure maple syrup.  That tree deserves a kiss and a hug.

It wouldn't hurt to make sure your man gets some too because zinc+manganese=strong swimmers and healthy sex drive.  ahem.  source

Real men eat maple syrup. 

Fun Fact: the darker the syrup the later in the season it was harvested.

If you suffer from type 2 diabetes or don't want to get it--oh wait that's all of us--you might want to look at this short article from the Classical Medicine Journal: Maple Syrup may help treat diabetes. 

2 comments:

  1. Just fyi--the sap to syrup ratio is 40:1. That's 40 gallons of sap equals about a gallon of syrup. Yup. That's a lot of sap. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed! Just makes it all the more precious. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...