Monday, March 5, 2012

Quinoa

My first achievement: Quinoa.
I figured the grain group was a friendly bunch and a good place to start. That is when I realized that the same three basic grains are in ALL my food--wheat, oats, and rice.Who knew there were hundreds of different grains I was missing out on!My first new friend is Quinoa.At first I pronounced it “Kwi-no-ah.”After an embarrassing experience at the Sunflower Farmers market I discovered it is actually “Keen-wa.”

This is the plant Quinoa is harvested from. ----->

SPOILER ALERT:
Quinoa isn't actually a grain. It's a seed! However, since it is so grain-like and cooks like a grain it was allowed to join the grain club.

Here's the best part. It comes in cute colors!

Just kidding, that isn't the best part.
This is: Quinoa is actually a complete protein because it has all 9 essential amino acids. It's high in iron and magnesium. Learn more about this happy little seed here.


"How do I get this goodness in me?"

Rinse these guys really well they will taste a little bitter. They are tiny so you need a stainer to keep them from escaping down the drain-I didn't have one the first time and things got a little messy with the swishing and holding-back-the-quinoa-with-my-hand party.
Bring to boil 1 part quinoa and 2 parts water.
Cover and Simmer for 15 minutes or so.
Ta Da!
Look at those cute little curly Qs!
The flavor is actually pretty bland which makes them versatile.
What does the husband think?

That's an important consideration isn't is. Since he is an unbiased Dr. Pepper drinking, toaster strudel lover, but also a conscious veggie muncher and health enthusiast, he is a good reality check.
According to Austin: Big points for nutrition. The flavor was fine, but the size of each grain makes it feel like you're eating bird food.
Easy fix for this, mix some rice (brown or white) into the pot and voila! This is a health improvement success!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...